Image Map

Thursday 24 September 2009

To Arthur!


As many of you may have seen on the telly and around the towns, today is the 250th anniversary of the founding of Guinness.
I actually had to be reminded by my (Irish) boyfriend today, I knew it was coming up but not which day, so I promptly sent the home delivery wagon (Dad) to go and fetch me a can. Not as good as the real thing, and I wish I was in Dublin (though mainly because I miss the Irish boyfriend a lot.)
I have had a love affair with this drink for many years, since about the age of 13 I think (I am 21, that is a long time for me!) and I have had many happy times drinking it. Several funny occasions that I can recall are the response from men much older then me when I was 13/14 of: "a GIRL drinking Guinness?! And only 14!!!"
Also many a time at college parties where a pint was drunk in one as a party trick in order to use as a bargaining chip, "I will only do it if you do..." (this one was really rather fun).
I had a hiatus from the drink while at university, mainly because of a bad incident with some Bacardi, I am happily sitting enjoying a pint now though, reminiscing about my youth, which while not really over yet, I feel the most outrageous parts are definitely behind me. I feel much more grown up nowadays (today I was a little miffed I couldn't join an over 55's dinner at the community centre).
So today, I would like to join the millions of others to say "To Arthur" thank you for many wonderful memories :)


No comments :

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.