Image Map

Thursday 25 July 2013

The Book Jar

thebookjar

Now, in case you don't know me very well, you may not be aware of the extent of my TBR pile. I can't really call it a pile any more because it takes up a whole bookcase (though I now have new shelves, so it takes up 8 cubes, which sounds nicer) and is somewhat out of control.
I may tell you the number...177, though that does include eBooks, they aren't all sat on the shelves.

Anyway, this is definitely out of hand, and as much as I try to read them, I do get overwhelmed and sometimes haven't a clue what to read next.

Last week I decided enough was enough, I had just finished Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl and I had had my YA fix and couldn't for the life of me decide what to read next. In panic mode I started watching YouTube book recommendations, picking random books off my shelves and then putting them back, I simply couldn't decide. I had seen a couple of videos on YouTube about making a Book Jar, so I decided this was the solution.

I opened a document on the computer and got to typing, thank god I already keep a record or I could have spent ages looking at each book in turn. I grabbed some pretty coloured paper a la Rincey Reads, printed and trimmed each slip, folded them up and popped them into a pretty jar from Laura Ashley.

I actually ended up reading a library book next, but I have my jar all ready and waiting for the next time I really haven't a clue what to read, I will simply pull out a slip and then grab the book.

Problem solved...I hope!

2 comments :

  1. I made myself one of these a little while back - its really handy! Although, I think I need to upgrade to a bigger jar... x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a few of these floating round, really should make myself one! My TBR pile is beyond ridiculous at this point, my only problem would be that it would just keep growing - one book in, one book out lol xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.